The Palo Alto Veterans Institute for Research (PAVIR) is seeking a part-time Clinical Research Counselor. This position involves delivering an intervention, in-person and by telephone, to family and friends of people in treatment for alcohol use disorders. The intervention is motivational and provides information on Al-Anon and other help resources for these friends and family.
This is a regular, part time (20 hrs/wk), non-exempt position.
PAVIR is a nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS). As a condition of employment, all PAVIR employees are required to have an approved Without Compensation (WOC) appointment with VAPAHCS and complete a background check before they can commence work.
• Deliver an intervention, called Al-Anon Intensive Referral (AIR), to friends and family members of people in treatment for alcohol use disorders.
• Use Motivational Interviewing approaches when delivering the intervention.
• Deliver the intervention in group, in-person sessions, and in individual sessions over the telephone.
• Coordinate the participation of Al-Anon volunteers during the in-person sessions.
Documentation and Coordination
• Use project databases to document study participants’ attendance at in-person and telephone sessions.
• Maintain consistency of procedures with individuals delivering the same intervention at the other study sites.
• Coordinate with treatment program staff to ensure smooth incorporation of study procedures with the program.
Miscellaneous Research Activities
• Help with other aspects of the research study as needed, such as literature searches, follow-up data collection, preparation and dissemination of findings in papers and presentations.
• Help to ensure the research process follows applicable VA and NIH rules and regulations, avoiding compliance issues.
Required: Master’s degree in a counseling field, or equivalent work experience
Preferred: Course work in substance use disorders and their treatment, and in research methods
• Experience working in substance use disorder treatment settings
• Solid theoretical and practical background in Motivational Interviewing
• Experience making presentations to groups
• Experience in monitoring clients’ progress over the phone
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
• Demonstrated interest and experience in evidence-based care
• Experienced in the research process and able to transfer scientific knowledge to practical applications
• Excellent oral, written, and computer communication skills
• Ability to comply with VA and NIH rules and regulations
• Ability to work independently and with a team
Environmental Conditions / Physical Demands:
• Physical: Sitting in front of a computer for prolonged periods of time, walking short distances, repetitive movement, etc.
• Environmental: Primarily office and clinic/counseling environment, including meeting rooms for contact with research participants
PAVIR engages in nonprofit medical research and works with sponsors and the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System (VAPAHCS) in administering funds for conducting research to find new and improved ways to combat human disease and help people with disabilities. Please refer to our website for additional information: www.pavir.org
PAVIR is pleased to be an Equal Opportunity Employer for Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Qualified Individuals with a Disability.
How to Apply:
Please apply online for job code ‘TIM1701.17’ via our Jobs page (http://pavir.org/careers/jobs/) and include your cover letter and your resume/curriculum vitae as ONE document.
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, please contact our Human Resources department.